In this game, you are a forager who lives in a small village settled deep in a remote forest.
The village contains nine foragers who survive by eating berries
to boost their health
Each day, the villagers set out on their own to find berries. Afterwards, they meet to vote on how to share the berries.
You will be one of the villagers and the other eight villagers will be played by the computer. The computer will make decisions for the villagers similar to how people make decisions in this game.
At the end of the game, you will earn 1 cent
per point of your final health score. This money will be paid to you as a bonus
through your panel company.
Searching for Food
Each day you search for berries by clicking on bushes.
Some days you find meager bushes and gather 25 berries, and some days you find lush bushes and gather 50 berries.
To be exact, you have a 50% chance of finding 25 berries and a 50% chance of finding 50 berries. The computer will use these chances to determine how many berries you find each day.
When you find berries, they will appear in your basket.
You will start with 60 health points.
Each day, your health decreases 35 health points from the energy your body consumes through metabolism.
You can add to your health points by eating berries. Each berry adds 1 health point.
Distributing and Eating
After voting, berries in the community basket are divided equally among the nine villagers and distributed to their baskets.
At the end of the day, each villager eats their berries to gain health points. Then they continue to the next day for a total of 10 days.
Click Here To Begin!
- You start with 60 health points and you lose 35 per day due to metabolism.
- Each day, you have equal chances of finding 25 or 50 berries.
- You and the other villagers will vote for Less Sharing (1 per 5 berries found) or More Sharing (3 per 5 berries found).
- The sharing rule that receives the most votes is enacted. Berries are collected into the community basket according to the rule and then these berries are divided equally among the nine villagers.
- After the community berries are divided, you eat your berries to add to your health and proceed to the next day.
- The game continues for 10 days. You will earn 1 cent per point of your final health score, paid to you as a bonus through your panel company.
You can refer to these instructions at any point during the game by clicking the "Instructions" button.
Survey - Page 1
1. How did you make your decisions in this study?
Survey - Page 2
Please answer the following questions about the United States government and current support for citizens who suffer economic hardships.
2. Do you think the U.S. government currently provides too little, too much, or just the right amount of benefits (money, food, housing, health care, etc.) to people who suffer economic hardships?
3. Do you think the U.S. government currently collects too little, too much, or just the right amount of taxes in order to provide benefits to people who suffer economic hardships?
4. Are you personally willing to pay more taxes to help provide benefits to people who suffer economic hardships?
Survey - Page 3
5. Generally speaking, are your political views liberal or conservative?
6. Who did you plan to vote for in the presidential election (whether or not you were able to vote)?
7. What is your sex?
8. What is your age?
9. What is your ethnicity?
10. Please write any other comments about the study below.
Please submit this survey to receive your bonus through your panel company.